Are you looking for the ultimate source of Harry Potter trivia questions?
If you're like us, then you're always on the lookout for new and interesting ways to test your knowledge of the wizarding world.
That's why we've put together a list of Harry Potter trivia questions that will challenge even the most diehard fans.
We have got 66 Harry Potter trivia questions and answers for you to test your knowledge with.
Whether you're a Potterhead or just a casual fan, we think you'll find these questions to be quite fun and challenging.
Before sharing the questions, we want to tell you a little bit about Water Cooler Trivia.
If you want to see Harry Potter quizzes delivered straight to your inbox, you need access to Water Cooler Trivia.
Our team of trivia aficionados is well-versed in the wizarding world.
After all, these magicians deliver engaging trivia at the drop of a hat.
We can craft engaging, Harry Potter trivia questions, so you don't need to!
Water Cooler Trivia can send fresh trivia quizzes every week, straight to your inbox.
If you're ready to give Water Cooler Trivia a try, you can sign up for a four-week free trial.
Now, let's dive into the Harry Potter trivia questions.
66 Harry Potter Trivia Questions Ranked From Easiest to Hardest (Updated For 2023)
- Hedwig the owl from Harry Potter is what species of owl? The species gets its name from its white coloration, and from living in arctic climates.
Answer: Snowy Owl
- Courtrooms aren’t the only place you can practice law. For example, a hearing can take place in a judge’s private office. What’s this space called? (Hint: Starts with C and might remind you of a secretive Harry Potter locale)
- What actress, known for her roles in the “Harry Potter” franchise and “Anna Karenina”, is joining Twitter co-founder Biz Stone and others in investing in FabricNano, a startup company attempting to manufacture biodegradable plastics?
Answer: Emma Watson
- What Slytherin house member is often seen with his lackeys, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle? His father, Lucius, is a Death Eater, and thus taught him the importance of blood purity amongst wizards.
Answer: Draco Malfoy
- What Harry Potter character is a Hogwarts professor who is often suspected of being a servant of Voldemort due to his dark exterior, but ends up being Dumbledore’s closest ally? He was played in the films by Alan Rickman.
Answer: Severus Snape
- Hermes, Errol, and Pigwidgeon are three of the many pets in a famous series of books. What type of animal are all of these named companions?
- In 2015, J.K. Rowling revealed "Elizabeth Warren" as the middle and last names of what whingy ghost?
Answer: Moaning Myrtle
- As described by J.K. Rowling herself, what character was named by two muggle dentists, “who liked to show how clever they were, giving her a name no one could pronounce?” When she had children of her own, the names of Rose and Hugo were at least a little easier to pronounce.
Answer: Hermione Granger
- What character was born Tom Marvolo Riddle, and split himself amongst seven horcruxes, one of which was Harry Potter? He conceived a daughter, Delphini, with Bellatrix Lestrange.
- What character, with middle name Bilius, used his skill at Wizard’s Chess to help escape a life-like chess game in “Philosopher’s Stone?”
Answer: Ron Weasley
- In the Potterverse, a person who would be called a "No-Maj" in the United States would be known as what in the UK?
- What fictional beverage do the characters in "Harry Potter" drink when they visit places like "The Three Broomsticks" and "The Hog's Head Pub?"
- A companion of headmaster Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter novels, Fawkes was what type of legendary bird?
- What series of massively popular books took "Top Prize" as the most commonly banned book by the American Library Association from 2000 to 2009?
Answer: Harry Potter
- What material, typically made out of untanned goat, sheep, or cow skin, has been used as a writing medium for over two millennia? It was used for the Declaration of Independence and is very common in the wizarding world of Harry Potter.
- Literally translating as "beautiful wands," Beauxbatons is the institution of wizardly education of what country in the Harry Potter universe?
- How many books comprise each of “The Chronicles of Narnia” series written by C. S. Lewis and the “Harry Potter” series by J. K. Rowling?
- What two-word alliterative phrase needs to be recited in order to wipe the Marauder’s Map clean?
Answer: Mischief Managed
- What is the two-word name of the podcast series in which The Ringer's Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion dive deep into pop culture phenomena such as "Game of Thrones," "Harry Potter," and "Star Wars"? The show's name also references a certain style of aggressive TV watching.
Answer: Binge Mode
- In 2020, an actor from the Harry Potter franchise posted a picture of his newborn child Wednesday. Four hours later, he broke an Instagram record for fastest account to one million followers. Who is this actor? We're looking for the actor, not the character he plays.
Answer: Rupert Grint
- In the Potterverse, what nickname for Harry's dad is missing from the list "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and ___?"
- What fictional London street, whose shops stock everything a Hogwarts student needs, is located behind the Leaky Cauldron pub?
Answer: Diagon Alley
- The three Deathly Hallows were the Resurrection Stone, the Cloak of Invisibility, and what 15-inch-long object with a thestral-hair core?
Answer: Elder Wand
- What magical version of horticulture is the subject taught by Professor Sprout at Hogwarts, and in which Neville Longbottom eventually becomes an expert?
- In the Harry Potter books, Azkaban Prison is located in which body of water that lies between Great Britain and Norway?
Answer: The North Sea
- Advertised as "a risk with every mouthful!", the Every Flavour Beans eaten by Harry Potter and his friends are made by what alliterative manufacturer?
Answer: Bertie Bott (Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans)
- In what Scottish city, known as a haven for writers, did J. K. Rowling write a large portion of the first Harry Potter novel?
- What famous member of Bulgaria’s quidditch team and student at Durmstrang becomes a rival to Ron Weasley for Hermione Granger’s affection during the events of “Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire?” He was played by Stanislav Ianevski in the films.
Answer: Viktor Krum
- Hermione Granger's patronus is represented by what occasionally water-bound animal?
- In which year of Harry Potter's education at Hogwarts does he first visit the nearby village Hogsmeade?
Answer: Third Year
- What is the name of the newspaper in the Harry Potter universe for which the unsavory Rita Skeeter is a reporter?
Answer: The Daily Prophet
- A muggle is a person lacking magical ability and was not born in a magical family. What is the term for someone who *is* born into a magical family but lacks magical abilities?
- First mentioned in "The Goblet of Fire," what is the name for a magically enchanted object in the Harry Potter universe that allows for the apparition-less transportation of multiple people at once upon touching the object?
- What spell in the world of Harry Potter is used to unlock and open doors?
- What relaxed-sounding 2012 novel by J.K. Rowling, her first after the Harry Potter series, features social worker Kay trying to keep Terri from sliding back into addiction?
Answer: The Casual Vacancy
- At Universal Studios Orlando, a series of themed islands that connect a Marvel park, Harry Potter Land, as well as Jurassic Park attractions, is referred to as the Islands Of ______. Fill in the one word “A” blank, an unusual or exciting activity, like the ones undertaken by Huckleberry Finn.
Answer: Islands Of Adventure
- Riders can experience Hogwarts Castle, the Whomping Willow, and a Quidditch match in the Universal Studios ride “Harry Potter And The Forbidden ______.” Fill in the one word blank, also the name of a band that recorded “Don’t Stop Believin’” in 1981.
Answer: Harry Potter And The Forbidden Journey
- Reminiscent of something that might be used by someone with alopecia, what was the name of the snowy owl which Harry Potter received as an eleventh birthday present from Hagrid?
- Harry Potter fans already know that there’s a spoiler in Tom Marvolo Riddle’s name—it’s an anagram for “I am ______ ______”
Answer: Lord Voldemort
- What was Voldemort's middle name at birth?
- A British wizard named Amos who worked for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures in the British Ministry of Magic was famously the father of what classmate of Harry's?
Answer: Cedric Diggory
- What British actor played Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter movies, and in real life married someone he met at a Wizarding World of Harry Potter event?
Answer: Matthew Lewis
- You don't have to be a history scholar to guess that Remus Lupin's codename for Potterwatch broadcasts was what first king of Rome?
- The O.W.L.s (Ordinary Wizarding Levels) are a set of standardized tests in the wizarding world that are traditionally taken at Hogwarts at the end of which school year?
Answer: Fifth year
- The title of what 2012 novel by J.K. Rowling, her first after the Harry Potter series, refers to a suddenly empty seat in a small British town's government that needs to be filled with an election?
Answer: The Casual Vacancy
- It's surely no coincidence that Harry Potter's birthday is the same as J. K. Rowling's, with both falling on the final day of which month?
- According to the Harry Potter books, how many total balls are used in a standard Quidditch match?
- Harry Potter fans visiting London can take photos at Platform 9-3/4 and visit the corresponding gift shop at what London railway station?
Answer: King's Cross
- In Harry Potter's first year at Hogwarts, there are only three girls on the Gryffindor quidditch team and they all play the same position. What position do they play?
- “Constant vigilance!” Since he’s lost so many body parts in the process of fighting Dark wizards, Alastar Moody is better known by what optic nickname?
- Throughout the Harry Potter novels, Harry is mentioned by name 18,956 times. Which character is the second most mentioned coming in at a total of 6,464?
Answer: Ron Weasley
- J.K. Rowling is rumored (and has since denied) to have written the first part of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” on what uncommon writing surface?
Answer: a napkin
- "Harry Potter" film star, Daniel Radcliffe, was magical in a different way when he starred as a sentient corpse in what 2016 film?
Answer: Swiss Army Man
- In the Harry Potter series, what was the five-letter name of the elderly grey owl that served Ron Weasley and his family?
- In the Harry Potter novels, after Ron Weasley's rat Scabbers turned out to be one of Lord Voldemort's followers, Sirius Black gifted him what owl, nicknamed "Pig" for short?
- In the wizarding currency of the Harry Potter universe, what is the name of the bronze coin, which is smaller in value than a Sickle or a Galleon?
- What fictional character’s last name comes from an 18th century English word meaning "bumblebee?" The character somewhat famously has three middle names.
Answer: (Albus Percival Wulfric Brian) Dumbledore
- It's revealed throughout the Harry Potter books that Gryffindor hero Neville Longbottom lives with his grandmother since his parents were tortured as members of the Order of the Phoenix. With one guess, name either of his parents.
Answer: Alice and Frank
- What is the name of the rotund monk who serves as the resident ghost of Hufflepuff House?
Answer: The Fat Friar
- In the world of Harry Potter, 493 Knuts are of equal value to what gold coin, the most valuable of the three coins used by wizards?
- Rescued by Harry during the second event of the Triwizard Tournament in "The Goblet of Fire," what is the first name of the younger sister of Fleur Delacour?
- What stealthy US startup working on an augmented reality headset using a "digital light field" released its first product to developers in 2018? The company's name could also describe a jump by Harry Potter.
Answer: Magic Leap
- We will be a bit generous with spelling, but what is the first name of Harry's first Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Prof. Quirrell?
- Debuting in 2016, what school, with Houses named Horned Serpent, Wampus, Pukwudgie, and Thunderbird, is the American equivalent of Hogwarts?
- *SPOILER WARNING* What Death Eater is responsible for the killing of Remus Lupin?
Answer: Antonin Dolohov
- What is the most commonly used NAMED spell in the Harry Potter book series? Hint: it's different than the answer would be for the film series, which is Wingardium Leviosa.
What makes Harry Potter movie trivia so engaging?
Whether it's the characters, the plot, or the magical setting, there's something about Harry Potter that makes it endlessly fascinating.
If you're looking for a fun and challenging way to test your knowledge of the wizarding world, look no further than these Harry Potter trivia questions.
We've gathered 153 questions from across the series, so you can test your knowledge of Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the rest of the gang.
Where can you find the best Harry Potter trivia for kids?
If you're looking for Harry Potter trivia for kids, you've come to the right place.
We've gathered a selection of questions that are perfect for young Potterheads.
From easy questions about the characters to harder questions about the plot, we've got something for everyone.
The above questions are suitable for fans of all ages.
There's something for everyone.
With Water Cooler trivia, you can have Harry Potter trivia questions delivered straight to your inbox.
Get started with a free four-week trial today!